My family was to have a get-together on a Thursday evening, we taught of what we could serve as drink.
We did not want the usual kind if drink.
After a little brainstorming, we came up with kunu aya.
This was on a Tuesday an we need at least 24 hours to soak the nuts before grinding.
We set out to the market to pick up all the ingredients.
Before I share with you what’s in our bag and how to make the drink.
Let’s give a little review of what kunu aya is
Kunu aya is a beverage made from tiger nuts, with its origin from northern Nigeria
Kunu refers to a drink or beverage made from grains or nuts.
so kunu aya is drink made from tiger nut.
Now let’s get back to what’s in our bag, I’ve got in here dry tiger nut, coconuts, dates and ginger.
Recipe for Kunu Aya
- 5 cups dry or fresh tiger nut (washed)
- 2 medium sized coconut (shell removed, chopped)
- ½ cup Ginger (washed, peeled)
- 1 cup Dates (washed, seed removed)
- 15 cups Water
Note: Soak dry tiger nuts in water for 24 hours.
- Add all the ingredients in a blender, you can do this in batches depending on the size and grinding capacity of your blender.
- Blend until smooth
- In a strainer, cheese or muslin bag sieve out the milky drink
- Serve drink immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the chaff use as manure in the garden or feed live stocks and poultry birds with it.
Another way this can be done is by
using whole tiger nut milk and coconut milk.
Just blend the dates and ginger to get the juice out.
Mix tiger nut milk, coconut milk and the juice from d blended ginger and date.
Did I mention I had lots of fun at the get-together, that’s a story for another day.
Having this drink at the get-together was a healthy choice.