After breastfeeding my baby exclusively for 3 months (exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months recommended),
My baby is ready to try something new, I made his first baby cereal pap (akamu) using yellow corn and guinea corn.
Then I met with a mother friend who gave me this amazing pap recipe,
she told me to add millet called joro (northern part of Nigeria) to the first recipe and adjusted the ratio
Ever since that’s been the pap baby cereal my baby feeds on.
What’s so special about this recipe?
The combination of corn with guinea corn and millet contains all the amino acids a baby needs for wellbeing. (Journal of Nutritional Health & Food Science)
Each of these grains is nutritious; they are also used in making tom brown. see the nutritional composition of grains
Is this cereal for babies alone? NO adults can also enjoy this as well, it’s good for the whole family.
Ingredient for baby cereal (Pap)
- 2 ½ Cup or 1 Derica Cup Yellow Corn
- 2 ½ Cup or 1 Derica Cup Millet
- 2 ½ Cup or 1 Derica Cup Guinea Corn
- Handpick and wash all the grains one after the other until clean, you might have to wash them several times.
- Soak the corn, guinea corn millet in water for 2-3 days
- (This helps to soften the cereals and during this process, fermentation occurs)
- Discard the water used to soak grains and wash the grains again.
- Grind the grains in a blender at home or a commercial grinder.
- The grains have now ground into a paste, it’s time to sieve out the chaff to get the pap
- Put water into a large bowl,
- Using a large cheesecloth add some of the blended paste into it,
- Deep the cheesecloth with the paste into the large bowl of water and rinse the paste over it until all that’s left in the cheesecloth is chaff
- Remove the chaff, place it aside
- Repeat the process over and over and sieve all the blended paste.
- Note that it’s best to put in a little quantity of the paste at each sieve. It makes it easier.
- If the mixture becomes thick you can lighten it up by adding water.
- Once done allow the mixture to sit for about 3-5 hours
- Once you have clear water up and the pap down
- Decant the water
- Place pap into a small container and refrigerate
- Use when needed.
- With this you can now make this baby cereal (Pap), click here to see how to cook the baby cereal pap for food.
- The stove method will be the most appropriate for your baby because the pap needs to cook, no matter the method you use, please ensure you cook on the heat before feeding your baby.
Watch this video illustration